Brief Bio

My photo
Quezon City, Metro-Manila, Philippines
I am a runner, pastor, sociologist, teacher, and missionary. After living in Chicago for 6 years, I discerned a call to go to Manila, Philippines to live and work among the urban poor, and combine my passions for ministry, running, and the oppressed. After serving in the Philippines in 2012 and 2013, I returned to the United States for two years to finish my dissertation, get ordained, spend time with my family, and work at a neighborhood center in Kansas City. Since then, I have been working in the Philippines with Companion With the Poor as a missionary. Each day I look forward to how God will direct my steps as I live into His work of restoring a broken world.

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Manila Monthly: Back on My Feet



Manila Monthly: Back on My Feet
March 2018


It has been six months now since I returned to the Philippines, and by God’s grace, I have survived the transition back! The month of February involved a whirlwind of ministry responsibilities and trips (see below), but the Lord gave me enough strength to endure the extra load, and launch me into March where things have finally slowed down a bit, and allowed me to settle back into my normal ministry roles here as part of Companion With the Poor.


Teaching in Taytay


Starting the first week of February, I had the opportunity to teach two classes at a local Bible school. One of the classes was in Church Planting and Evangelism and the other one Transformational Christian Leadership. I was able to co-teach these class with one of our CWTP missionaries (and former Executive Director), Don Reyes, and had many guest speakers (other professors from the seminary) during the second week sharing their experience with transformational leadership to help ease my own load for the classes. It was great to be able to share my experiences, and the experiences of Companion With the Poor, with three masters level students, and seven bachelor level students. I pray that our time with the students was as helpful for them as my classes in seminary were for me!

(Pictured is Leonard Maina, one of our guest speakers, speaking about his experiences with Transformational Leadership)

Trip to Cebu


I also had the chance during the last week of February, to travel to Cebu, another island here in the Philippines where CWTP has sent a team to plant a church. As part of our mobilization team, I have been helping CWTP since arriving in 2011 expand our vision beyond Manila, and have helped bring our missionaries on short term trips to places like India, Thailand, the US, and other islands in the Philippines like Iloilo and Cebu. Through a generous donation from some churches in the US, and a lot of preparation in Manila, we were able to send our first church planting team of three missionaries to Cebu for at least a two-year term. The team has been there now for one year, and they already have a growing church with multiple Bible studies, ministries (feeding programs, livelihood, couples fellowship), and new believers! It is obvious that the Lord was well ahead of us, and preparing this community for our team even before they arrived! Praise the Lord for his faithfulness in this effort!

(Pictured (in front) is Pastor Nehemiah, one of our missionaries serving in Cebu, along with some of the youth he is working with in Cebu!)

Fairview Mission Center/CWTP Office


By God’s grace, we are also nearing the completion of Phase 2 of our mission center/training center/office. This is another project that some churches in the US helped raise funds for, and in addition to another generous donor in California,  we are hoping to be able to complete the project this month, and move in by April! I can’t wait to show you pictures next month of the completed project! We would appreciate your prayers too as we begin raising the remaining support needed for the 3rd and last phase of the training center.

(Pictured is our accounting office, one of four rooms in our new mission center and office!)

An Open Invitation


Thank you all for your continued support and prayers for my ministry here, and our community, Companion With the Poor. My friend Josh visited me in February and traveled with our group to Cebu. His visit reminded me of the partnership we have in this work, and that, as he reminded me, there are many roles in God’s work around the world. While you always have an open invitation to visit me here and even join us in our work, I continue be thankful for those of you who, knowing that you are called to be where you are, continue to support me and other local and global missionaries through your prayers, encouragement, and financial support. Every bit of support goes a long way!

P.S. Please continue to pray for my physical health and recovery. By God’s grace, I am able to walk better now (most days without a limp), and continue to do physical therapy and training to build strength in my foot, back, and whole body. My energy level continues to improve as well, though I am learning to be okay taking things a bit slower than I was able to before my accident. I am thankful for this though, as it helps me appreciate each day a bit more than before, and not move so fast past opportunities that I may have missed before!

(Pictured is my friend Josh and two of our CWTP missionaries, Jayar and Joyce)



No comments: