Brief Bio

My photo
Quezon City, Metro-Manila, Philippines
I am a runner, pastor, sociologist, teacher, and missionary. After living in Chicago for 6 years, I discerned a call to go to Manila, Philippines to live and work among the urban poor, and combine my passions for ministry, running, and the oppressed. After serving in the Philippines in 2012 and 2013, I returned to the United States for two years to finish my dissertation, get ordained, spend time with my family, and work at a neighborhood center in Kansas City. Since then, I have been working in the Philippines with Companion With the Poor as a missionary. Each day I look forward to how God will direct my steps as I live into His work of restoring a broken world.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Indifference & Desiring the Will of God

Recently, I have been using a book by Larry Warner called Journey with Jesus: Discovering the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius for my quiet times and daily devotions. I am now a few months into the exercises, and have had the chance to pray and meditate on topics including love, service, praise, creation, etc. This weeks lessons are dealing with a new topic that I have not studied much, though I have come to learn during my missionary journeys in Grand Rapids, Chicago, Los Angeles, Manila, and now Kansas City - Indifference. The following is a segment of the introduction to Indifference, followed by some scriptures and daily examen questions. Let us continue to journey with Jesus, invite others along on our journeys, and find ways to accompany and help others along on theirs.


It is necessary to make ourselves indifferent to all created things in all that is allowed to the choice of our free will and is not prohibited to it; so that, on our part, we want not health rather than sickness, riches rather than poverty, honor rather than dishonor, long rather than short life, and so in all the rest; desiring and choosing only what is most conducive for us to the end for which we are created. (St. Ignatius of Loyola)

The term indifference was an important term for Ignatius. Often indifference is used to speak of not caring about something or having a lack of passion. But for Ignatius, this word was a critical component that, when properly understood and embraced, led to freedom - a freedom to say yes to God and the invitations of God, and to say no to those things that would draw us away from God. This freedom birthed from indifference is a desired outcome expressed by Ignatius. In his exercises he states the goal as the ability to order one's life in such a way that no decision is made resulting from a disordered attachment. (p. 94)

Scripture Passages:

Psalm 23:1, 42:1-2, 63:1
Matthew 6:19-25
John 21:15-17
Philippians 3:8, 4:11-13
1 John 2:15-17

Daily Examen Questions:

Look back over your day, seeking to identify the areas and desires that made it difficult for you to say yes to God. What were they? What is the source of their power over you? Share your insights with God, asking for God's help and wisdom.

No comments: