Brief Bio

My photo
Quezon City, Metro-Manila, Philippines
I am a runner, pastor, sociologist, teacher, and missionary. After living in Chicago for 6 years, I discerned a call to go to Manila, Philippines to live and work among the urban poor, and combine my passions for ministry, running, and the oppressed. After serving in the Philippines in 2012 and 2013, I returned to the United States for two years to finish my dissertation, get ordained, spend time with my family, and work at a neighborhood center in Kansas City. Since then, I have been working in the Philippines with Companion With the Poor as a missionary. Each day I look forward to how God will direct my steps as I live into His work of restoring a broken world.

Monday, August 27, 2012

MIT Training - Reflection #1...Four Spiritualities

So, some new reflections from my life here in Manila.  I'm thankful for opportunities like the prayer room, and most recently required reflections for our MIT (Missionary in Training) program for MMP (Mission Ministries Philippines), that give me a chance to write down my thoughts and share them here on my blog.

August 3-4, 2012


I have two immediate thoughts after the first two days of training.

The first, as I mentioned at the end of our session today, is the significance of the 4 spiritualities (head, heart, mystical, social justice) in regards to a curriculum for the urban poor. It should be added to other curriculum/structures/categories that should be integrated into the curriculum in order to disciple/train workers for the urban poor, following and even leading up to conversion from the point of contact with other MMP trained or TUL influenced workers/ministers/missionaries/pastors. The following ‘curriculums’ must be considered in designing this training/Bible study material:

-           4 types of spirituality (head, heart, mystic, justice)
-          APEST (apostle, prophet, evangelist, shepherd, teacher)
-          Micah 6:8 – Love Mercy, Do Justice, Walk Humbly with our God
-          Philippians 2 – Though rich, became poor so that others can become rich
-          Those who had much did not have too much, those with little, not too little
-           Luke 4 and 6 on Discipleship and the Kingdom of God

Second, I am challenged with what it would look like to really join MMP for the next 2 ½ years; and if it would even be possible.  I think it could work. But would Gary (the other American) and I be willing to live at their level and on their allowance (food and pamasahe lang)? Then direct other financial needs (language school, education costs, Visa costs, travel costs, etc.) through MMP as well? And any extra money could be distributed evenly between the trainees. Would this allow me to raise money not just for myself but everyone; so not to be a ‘poverty pimp’ (and isn’t this what other missions groups from the States do, like Extreme Team, etc. - who, after raising all they need for the trip, give the rest to the others on the team). How can we balance all of this? The real question that faces me is how I would fit in with the current MIT team and MMP. Lord, I need your help on this.  Lord, hear my prayer.

No comments: