Brief Bio

My photo
Quezon City, Metro-Manila, Philippines
I am a runner, pastor, sociologist, teacher, and missionary. After living in Chicago for 6 years, I discerned a call to go to Manila, Philippines to live and work among the urban poor, and combine my passions for ministry, running, and the oppressed. After serving in the Philippines in 2012 and 2013, I returned to the United States for two years to finish my dissertation, get ordained, spend time with my family, and work at a neighborhood center in Kansas City. Since then, I have been working in the Philippines with Companion With the Poor as a missionary. Each day I look forward to how God will direct my steps as I live into His work of restoring a broken world.

Friday, June 1, 2012

A Picture A Day [May]

A Picture A Day [May]




5/1/2012 – Trent's Place



5/2/2012 – Coffee Bean Studying


5/3/2012 – Montalban Bible Studies



5/4/2012 – Basketball in Tatalon


5/5/2012 – Sports Fest



5/6/2012 – Church in Montalban




5/7/2012 – Peace Statue


5/10/2012 - 5/12/2012 – MMP Early Education Seminary (Part II)




5/13/2012 – People's Park in Tatalon


(This park, though nice (and rarely used), replaced many 'informal squatters' that used to call this home.  Many of them have been relocated out to Montalban where I'm helping with the church plant/holistic ministry.)


5/14/2012 – Language School


5/15/2012 – Downtown Manila











5/16/2012 – Back to Trent's; MATUL Bonding






5/18/2012 - 5/24/2012 – Iloilo and the CPBC 3 Biennial

Day 1


(Our home base/accommodations for the week. An old mansion that has been converted into the CPBC headquarters, and guest housing. Our room, with bunk-beds, was on the top floor in the attic!  The best part though is that it was free!)



Day 2


(Chicken feet anyone? That is the closest I got to eating it. Maybe another day :) )



(The bay/port in Iloilo City. Maganda! (Beautiful))


Day 3





(Our new friends. Maybe one of the most hospitable churches I have ever been to. It started as a house church at someone's house, and then they just built a shelter next to their church to house their services.)


(The REAL "First' Baptist church in Iloilo City...started in 1900!)


Day 4


(Finally, the beach! My first time since arriving that I was able to swim in the ocean. A country of over 7,000 islands...you'd wonder why I haven't been there yet? Well, partly because I'm living in Manila (where there are no beaches because of the pollution) and I've been busy serving the urban poor and doing school work/language study :)  But it definitely has been worth it, and made this day trip a real treat!)



(My first time on a 'pump boat.' Great times!)





(Our cook for lunch, just a small eatery near the ocean...fresh fish!)



Day 5


(Opening parade for CPBC Convention)



(An attempt at making floating lanterns. Only a few made it into the sky, but it was cool none-the less.)


(The University Church at Central Philippine University at night.  Very cool church and great campus!)

Day 6


(Some of the CPBC youth who arrived from all over the Philippines for leadership training. Please pray for them and for the youth here in the Philippines!)

Day 7


(The people we were with said the owner of this house is likely a ship captain :) What do you think?)


(Our last day in Iloilo and a trip to a local swimming pool. Always nice, especially here, at a new pool in a new middle-class neighborhood.)


(Some of the youth from Dungon Christian Church who accompanied us to the pool. Love these people!)
























No comments: